Friday, June 27, 2014

Well, well, Guess who's back!

Sooooo... it's been a year... Whoops!

You know how things can sometimes slip away from you for a bit? Well, the blog slipped away. So, let's play catch-up, shall we?


...


Yeah, nothing has really happened that's worth noting... just been plugging along day to day. HA!

Oo! Okay, I started a new training method for my own pack. I've always tried to use an R+ method, with a little P- mixed in (meaning, You did good! Here's a cookie! or That's not acceptable, now you can't have the ball anymore). This is effective when you want rote memorization and response to "sit" and "down" (which, if I'm honest with myself, weren't reliable here anyway - especially at a distance) but can get boring to not only the dog, but I WAS GETTING BORED AS WELL! Hey, I never claimed to be a brilliant trainer... I love dogs, and they love me, and I'm a great dog walker. I admit I have a lot to gain in the training aspect of things, though. And I want to be GREAT! I want my dogs to be GREAT! Good enough isn't good enough anymore.

Cut to present day: I have come upon a grand new tool in Susan Garrett's Choice Training. Contrary to what I was doing before, I am now not only encouraging my dogs to make their own decisions, but teaching them how using GAMES!! I haven't gone very far yet, but I've seen amazing results!


Maggie, who is reactive at the fence and on leash, has become much easier to redirect,



while Max's recall is improving dramatically,


and Stella is getting to like a crate. Her recall has also gotten so much better!

It takes time and patience, and I know I have a long way to go yet, but my dogs and  I are HAVING FUN training again! And that is worth a million dollars to me! I can't wait to see where it takes us.

Otherwise, I've been walking as much as I can (I did take some time off for some medical issues, but things have gotten back on track and we are walking again!). Just a reminder that I do walk in all safe weather - snow, sleet, wind, a little rain never hurt anybody - as long as it's not too hot/cold, or storming, I am out there helping our furry buddies get their much needed exercise!

I am taking on a couple new clients. If you're interested call me today! These spots will fill up quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment