Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A little more about nutrition...



We have been intermingling kibble and raw feeding for a while, to get the dogs ready for summer trips and hiking.  Yesterday I returned 2 cans of Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog food.  Why is this important? Well, because BB is a "high quality food" and it's Wilderness line is touted even higher.  I use to agree with this.  Until 2 weeks ago, anyway.  You see, when I feel kibble - knowing that it is a way too dry substance and dogs have a lower sensitivity to their thirst recognition than people - I try to top it with a wet food too.  I like to rotate, to keep my dogs' digestive systems open to recognizing new foods, just in case I have to make a fast change or something.  So, I give my pups their Evanger's kibble (which they have been on for weeks) topped with wet wilderness and merely a half hour later we are pooping puddles!

Max, who always tends to be slightly constipated, is having what would in other dogs be considered normal poos, while the 2 girls are squirting rivers.  Needless to say, they did not get anymore Wilderness, and were given probiotic yogurt for the rest of the week.  The runs lasted for about a week and a half - they were otherwise eating and drinking normally, so we didn't visit the vet (believe me, had they been doing otherwise, or lethargic, or otherwise acting strangely we would have been right off to the vets' office. But other than the chocolate shoots, all was normal).

So,  I don't know if BB changed their recipe, or if it was just a bad can - but we're not taking any chances.  Blue Buffalo has been scratched off our safe list.

Here is a good list of foods from best to worst, from a vet who seems to know what she's talking about:



I also wanted to remind you that M&T Pro Pet Services is working with local No-Kill shelters!  When you purchase a 3 month package, 10% of that purchase goes to help local animals in need.  Our current shelter is the SPCA in Danville.  You can see who needs a good home see who needs a new home here!

No comments:

Post a Comment